Monday, July 28, 2008

One of my heros


When I checked Google today I noticed that the main banner had changed to celebrate Beatrix Potter's birthday. When I was a kid, I once read a book about Beatrix, not one of her stories, but one about her. I remember being totally charmed by her life's story. She had a private tutor (which I begged my mom if I could PLEEEEEASE have one too like Beatrix) and she would study the plants and animals around her home and draw them. She is mostly known for her children's books, but her less known side I find fascinating. She wrote some scientific papers and was the first to suggest that lichens might be a symbiotic relationship between fungi and algae. Latter in life she helped preserve the Lake District in England and upon her death, she left her land to the National Trust. So in honor of my hero Beatrix, here is a drawing.

4 comments:

D Naugle said...

quite a commemoration.

Larry said...

I loved sharing Potter with my kids when they were little. You captured her subtle color. Nice job.

Anonymous said...

cat got your pen?

Anonymous said...

I love this. It is like Watership Down. One of my favorite movies/books.