Monday, June 30, 2008

Fast moving things


Being back from Greece, I miss having things I am dying to draw. So in an effort to find new inspiration I went to the zoo on Saturday. I thought it might be fun to try an draw some animals (other than Olive). I really wanted to draw the elephants, so I went right when the zoo opened, but to my surprise it was already very crowded. It was really hard to find a good spot where I would be out of the way and the elephants were out of the question because it was a mob scene around them. So I eventually found the one animal that no one seemed interested in, the Southern Ground Hornbill. I sat down to draw it and noticed it was in constant motion. I have never tried drawing a moving animal before. It was very tricky. I tried to just visually memorize part of the bird when it walked by, first the beak, then the head, then the wing, etc. After awhile it didn't seem so bad, but I still prefer drawing still things. After the Hornbill I looked around for more to draw.

No comments: